Follow us on Twitter: @foods4health1
To learn more about the health benefits of food, visit: http://www.benefitsoffood.blogspot.com
It is often recommended that we stay away from fats if we want to improve the overall health of our bodies and live a more healthy life. When we think of dietary fats, we often connect them to weight gain, a decrease in heart health and other health complications. To be certain, saturated fats, trans fats and other fats can be detrimental to our health, especially when consumed in high amounts. There are other fats however, when consumed in moderation, that can greatly improve our overall health and provide numerous health benefits for us that other dietary sources cannot. One great fat source for our health is coconut oil, a known superfood. Coconut oil provides numerous health benefits, and these benefits have been well researched and discussed in many studies. Lets discuss some of the health benefits that coconut oil can provide when it is consumed regularly.
1. First, coconut oil can help to boost our immune system and immunity. This is due to is tremendous antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. The lauric acid found in coconut oil works to reduce candida, while also fighting unwanted bacteria and different viruses. Also, the antibacterial properties it contains makes it harder for viruses to thrive, which has the benefit of boosting our immunity.
2. It can also help to improve digestion. This is achieved since coconut oil can help our bodies to absorb fat-soluble vitamins, including magnesium and calcium. Gut health is also improved since it can destroy bad bacteria while improving good bacteria. This can be beneficial for those individuals who are struggling with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome or stomach ulcers. As well, the saturated fats found in this healthy oil have antimicrobial properties, which can help deal with different fungi and parasites that can lead to indigestion. Digestion is also improved as the absorption of nutrients and amino acids is increased.
3. Consuming coconut oil can also have tremendous benefits for our skin. It is used as an effective face cleanser and moisturizer. This can allow your skin to look more radiant and appear less dry while dos preventing dryness and flaking. When applied topically, it can also be effecting in treating various skin problems and ailments, including eczema, psoriases and less complication skin infections. The high amount of antioxidants found in coconut oil means that it can benefit the skin when consumed as well. These antioxidants can prevent and delay the appearance of wrinkles and age-spots.
4. Another benefits of consuming coconut oil is that it can help with weight loss. As studies have shown, the short and medium-chain fatty acids it contains can help to lose excessive weight since it can boost the body’s metabolic rate by boosting the function of the pancreas. This allows for more calories to be burnt through out the day and lead to greater weight loss. As well, these fats are digested and converted into energy more easily then other fats or dietary sources.
5. Coconut oil is great for our heart and overall cardiovascular health. Coconut oil contains a good amount of natural saturated fats. These fats differ from other saturated fats however in the fact that they are are medium-chain fatty acids consisting of different types of healthy fatty acids. These fats in coconut oil are processed differently from long-chain fatty acids from plant-based sources, and are more quickly digested and turned into energy. As well, these natural saturated fats can help to increase “good” HDL cholesterol in the body, while also converting “bad” LDL cholesterol into good cholesterols. This lowers the risk of heart disease and promotes overall heart health. If that wasn’t enough, coconut oil can also lower high triglyceride levels and decrease high blood pressure.
6. Lastly, consuming coconut oil consistently can be beneficial for those individuals who struggle with type 2 diabetes. The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil can help to balance the insulin reaction in our cells and promote healthy digestion. This again will promote the health of our pancreas and decrease the amount of strain put on it while giving the body a consistent energy source not dependent on glucose reactions. This has the benefit of preventing type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance.
DISCLAIMER: This video is for educational and informational purposes only. While we have tried to ensure that the information is sound and accurate, we cannot guarantee its accuracy. The information in this video should not be substituted for professional medical advice and opinions. If you are experiencing any ailments, serious or otherwise, always seek professional medical treatment and advice.